Thursday, February 26, 2009
Thursday
So today we went to the high school and started applying the lime undercoat. It was hard work and very hot (we are running out of adjectives to describe the heat but everyone did a great job and we got the undercoat on the inside and outside of four classrooms. We then came back for a tour of the seaweed plantations which was really amazing. Local women, working for two foreign owned companies, farm seaweed out in the Indian Ocean. It is under water most of the time and they can only farm it during low tide. All the seaweed is shipped overseas to Japan, and our guide said the womenare paid anywhere from 10 to 25 cents per kilo (!!!) of dried seaweed. This afternoon we have been resting. SOme of the kids are getting massages (and some of the teachers are getting henna tatoos!) I will post some pictures without captions so you will have to figure out which is which. Everyone is having an incredible time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It looks amazing! You're all so very lucky. Enjoy. i wish I were there, I miss you Allegra. keep the e mails coming. love you. Mom
ReplyDeleteHello Allegra! Wow, it looks amazing. The kids are beautiful. I'm glad you got some practice painting this summer! I love you and miss you my sweet. Keep in touch.
ReplyDeleteLove . Mom